Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A couple o' perl scripts

I'm in a course this semester in which we exclusively use Java. And whilst working on a project, I got quite tired of creating accessors and mutators (getters and setters) for every single member variable I had. So I wrote a couple perl scripts to do it for me.

Now, a friend of mine who uses an IDEs to write his software has informed me that many of them do this for you. I don't use an IDE. I don't have any need for it. The code I write simply isn't that big or that complex. I use vim and javac. And if I must use a GUI, I generally go with KWrite on Linux or TextMate on Mac (or Notepad++ on Windows if I've booted into it for some reason.)

So, these scripts are for you java coders out there, who, like me, just don't use an IDE. You can find them here.

If I ever get around to making a version 2, I might include support for C++. But as for now, java coders, have fun.

Oh, yes, by the way, these are the first perl scripts I've ever written. I know there are probably a thousand ways to improve them. By all means, download them and improve them if you want. Just remember to credit me and share alike.

No comments: